Saturday, August 21, 2004

Fall Movie Preview: November

My Seven Most Eagerly Anticipated Movies of November:

1. The Incredibles (Nov. 5)

Pixar has had one of the most incredible winning streaks in cinema history (my least favorite of their movies, Monster’s Inc., was "just" very good). I have no reason to suspect that The Incredibles will disappoint.

2. Alexander (Nov. 5)

I have to admit, I was (and still am) really rooting for the Baz Luhrman version. But Oliver Stone is a very interesting director who we haven’t seen much from in recent years. I’m looking forward to seeing what he does with such a huge sandbox to play in. I’m torn on the cast – Love Angelina Jolie, Rosario Dawson and Anthony Hopkins; Hate Colin Farrell, Val Kilmer and Jared Leto. Hopefully it’ll all balance out and this epic will be more Gladiator than Troy.

3. Finding Neverland (Nov. 12)

Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet are always fascinating to watch, even in bad movies (except The Life of David Gale – but that really wasn’t her fault, I mean, her character’s name was Bitsey Bloom for God’s sake), and lately, they just keep getting better. I can’t wait to see them feed off each other. I also can’t wait to get my first glimpse of the boy who would be Peter Ostrum.

4. The Polar Express (Nov. 10)

In my book, Robert Zemeckis rivals Pixar in terms of winning streaks. I’ve seen every movie he’s directed since 1985, and have enjoyed all of them. I was never too cool to cop to my love of Forrest Gump. As a kid, I loved the books of Chris Van Allsburg, especially the snowy wonderland of The Polar Express. So when I first heard that Zemeckis and Tom Hanks were reteaming to adapt that book, I was very excited. The new technology sounded pretty cool, and the first teaser seemed magical. But then the full trailer showed up in theaters, and the animated people just looked creepy and the magic kind of wore off. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it works in the feature, creating a true holiday classic. Then again, I also loved Jumanji, and look what Hollywood did to that.

5. A Very Long Engagement (Nov. 26)

I don’t know much about this movie, but after Amelie, if Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Audrey Tautou are involved, I’m there. Jodie Foster is just the cherry on top.

6. Kinsey (Nov. 12)

I’m interested in the subject matter. I guess that makes me a perv, huh?

7. National Treasure (Nov. 19)

It was a toss-up between Bridget Jones and this one for the final spot, but testosterone won out. I find Jerry Bruckheimer movies thoroughly entertaining about half of the time, and since King Arthur sucked, it seems he’s due for a good popcorn movie.

Other November Movies that I’m Interested in:

Nov. 5
Birth

Nov. 10
Overnight
Seed of Chucky

Nov. 12
After the Sunset
The Ringer
Surviving Christmas

Nov. 19
Bad Education
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason


Nov. 24
Beyond the Sea
Christmas with the Kranks

Flight of the Phoenix
Millions

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home