Saturday, August 14, 2004

Fall Movie Preview: September

My Seven Most Eagerly Anticipated Movies of September:

1. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (Sept. 17)

When I first saw the trailer, I thought: "What is this movie... and when can I see it?" It looks visually intriguing, has a good cast (I'm a sucker for Angelina Jolie, no matter how many bad movies she makes) and appears to have good geek buzz coming out of Comic Con. The only thing that worries me is that in the most recent trailer, there's a character named Totenkopf, which just reeks of cheesiness and sounds ridiculous coming out of Gwyneth Paltrow's mouth. Still, I'm anxious to see it.

2. The Motorcycle Diaries (Sept. 24)

Advance word of mouth from the festival circuit is excellent. I wasn't wowed by Walter Salles' Central Station, but am anxious to see if this film lives up to the hype as a serious Oscar contender.

3. The Forgotten (Sept. 24)

The trailer looks interesting, it's got a nice one-sheet and it seems like Julianne Moore gets to go through the emotional ringer, which is always fun to watch. I could see this one going either way, but I'm hoping for something along the lines of the suprisingly good thriller, Breakdown.

4. Silver City (Sept. 17)

It looks like in this movie Chris Cooper is doing to George W. Bush what John Travolta did to Bill Clinton in Primary Colors (though against an even less literal story). And it looks like Cooper may be almost as funny as the real deal was in Fahrenheit 9/11. Plus, John Sayles often does good work.

5. A Dirty Shame (Sept. 24)

John Waters is a lot like Woody Allen - I like both auteurs more than their films, at least lately. But there's sure to be at least a few funny moments. And I can't remember the last NC-17 comedy (Showgirls excluded).

6. Vanity Fair (Sept. 1)

I'm not a big "period" guy - if I wanted classic literature, I'd pick up a book, which I don't want to do - but the "Bollywood" aspect intrigues me, as does the involvement of Reese Whitherspoon and Mira Nair. And based on what I hear from more well-read sources, Whitherspoon's character is closer to Tracy Enid Flick than the bland Melanie Carmichael. And that's cause to celebrate.

7. First Daughter (Sept. 24)

I've got a crush on Katie Holmes.

Other September Movies that I'm Interested in:

Sept. 3
The Cookout

Sept. 10
Cellular
Criminal
When Will I Be Loved

Sept. 17
Mr. 3000

Sept. 24
The Final Cut
The Last Shot

1 Comments:

Blogger The Pop Culture Petri Dish said...

For some reason, Entertainment Weekly didn't include Shaun of the Dead in their Fall Movie Preview. As such, I neglected to include it on my list, however, if I had realized it was coming out September 24, I would've put it at #3 (sadly bumping First Daughter).

August 21, 2004 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home