Wednesday, July 14, 2004

If I Picked The Emmy Nominations, Vol. 4

It's 24 hours until the real nominees are announced, but you don't have to wait another minute for my nominees in the category of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama:

Michael Chiklis as Det. Vic Mackey on The Shield – I loved him as The Commish. And he’s pretty great at this role, too, tempering what started out as all bravado all the time with some interesting self-doubt and sensitivity.

Peter Gallagher as Sandy Cohen on The O.C. – Who knew Gallagher had it in him to be this entertaining? His timing is impeccable and he’s my pick for TV Father of the Year.

James Gandolfini as Tony Soprano on The Sopranos – Yeah, he’s already won a lot, but it’s hard to argue with the acclaim he receives. As I said before, this season was all Tony’s, and Gandolfini owned it. I especially liked his work with Drea de Matteo in “Irregular Around the Margins” and watching Tony fall in love all over again with Carmela.

Julian McMahon as Dr. Christian Troy on Nip/Tuck – See my prior effusive words.

Kiefer Sutherland as Agent Jack Bauer on 24 – Another tenuous nominee, but even when his show is out of steam, Sutherland is not. In every episode, I find myself counting down the minutes until the story returns to Jack – a sign of a good lead that he always leaves you wanting more.

Runners-up:

David Boreanaz as Angel on Angel – It’s amazing the growth he’s made as an actor since the first season of Buffy. He could have easily been upstaged this season by the addition of James Marsters, but instead they played nicely with each other.

Chi McBride as Steven Harper on Boston Public – A criminally neglected actor on an underrated series (which I should have included among my Best Drama Series runners-up). He’s brought a commanding presence and warm sincerity to this fully formed role for three and a half seasons now. Sadly, it’s over now.

Ian McShane as Al Swearengen on Deadwood – So I only saw two episodes and was bored to tears – the only time I perked up was when McShane was onscreen. If I had kept watching, it would have been solely for him, and I doubt he would have disappointed.

Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlet on The West Wing – He hasn’t had anything as powerful to work with as “Two Cathedrals” in a long time, and his role seemed to shift to a supporting one during the series’ Sorkin-less growing pains. Yet Sheen is always solid as the greatest president who never lived.

Who I don’t want to be nominated:

It’s probably unfair to cite someone who’s work I haven’t fully sampled, but judging from the few minutes I have seen, and the lame bits of freeze-dried “acting” that make it into the ads that run during Survivor (“You know what I hate? People who hurt kids.”), I really don’t think William Petersen deserves to make it.

My No-Guts-No-Glory Prediction in this category:

Anthony LaPaglia steps in for the ineligible Peter Krause and (this is the really gutsy part) McShane supplants either Sheen or Sutherland (I’m leaning towards him replacing Sheen at the moment, but this all seems a bit iffy). Oh, and if McMahon can make it in, that would make my morning, but since when have The Emmys ever tried to please me? Still, it's not an absurd possibility.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama:

Wow, this is a tough (and sad) one. All of these women are very talented, but only one of them did what I consider to be exceptional work this season. Come on writers! Give your leading ladies something to work with. You can do it! Just pretend they have penises.

Edie Falco as Carmela Soprano on The Sopranos – As always, she’s terrific, but there was nothing on par with her heartbreaking turn in last season’s “Whitecaps,” and she was sadly reduced to even more of a supporting role this season.

Jennifer Garner as Agent Sydney Bristow on Alias – Exceptional. This season may have been a big disappointment, but J.J. Abrams and co. sure put Sydney through the ringer, and Garner more than rose to the challenge (I was ready to hand her the Emmy after that one devastating scene in “The Two” where she confronts Vaughn). Not to mention that she has to deliver all the emotional goods of her fellow nominees, AND play multiple alter egos, learn new languages (flawlessly) and perform physical feats that would make Olympic gymnasts balk. Plus, she kicks serious ass.

Allison Janney as C.J. Cregg on The West Wing – Yeah, good stuff. Most of what I said about Sheen applies here, too. Sorkin always used to write Emmy-whoring episodes for his actors each year - apparently John Wells didn't get the memo.

CCH Pounder as Det. Claudette Wyms on The Shield – Always solid. Always commanding.

Joely Richardson as Julia McNamara on Nip/Tuck – Sometimes her character comes across as a little over the top and a little underdeveloped, but Richardson makes the most of it, and is willing to go pretty far and take some risks in the role.

Runners-up:

I had enough trouble scraping together five. Geez, what more do you people want from me?

Who I don’t want to be nominated:

It seems almost too cruel to even bring it up, but: Is Lorraine Bracco still entered in the Lead Actress category? Because if so, that’s just adding insult to injury. I mean, isn’t it pitiful enough that her role has been reduced from Lead to barely Guest Actress without submitting her into a category she can’t possibly crack again?

My No-Guts-No-Glory Prediction in this category:

It’s not really that gutsy, but Frances Conroy vacates one spot, leaving it warm for Richardson. And the token CBS slot transfers from Marg Helgenberger to the girl everyone seems to love, Amber Tamblyn (unless it reverts back to Judge Amy Brenneman – but despite the fact that I’ve never watched any of their series, I’ll stick with Tamblyn).

Don’t miss the next exciting installment of “If I Picked The Emmy Nominations” – the most shocking “If I Picked The Emmy Nominations” ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home